Dark Chocolate-Blood Orange Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbs. Sunny Olive Tangerine Dark Balsamic
- 2 large eggs beaten with enough cold water to equal one cup
- ½ cup Sunny Olive Blood Orange Olive Oil + more for greasing pans
- Blood Orange Ganache
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbs .Sunny Olive Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans, one muffin pan, or one 13x9-inch pan with Blood Orange EVOO.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Thoroughly mix together the liquid ingredients in a separate large bowl until smooth. Add the dry ingredients in to the wet and mix using a hand or stand mixer on low. Pour the mixture into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes (cupcakes will take about 15 min.) or until a cake skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Make sure to not over-bake the cake. It should spring back when lightly touched, and a cake skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Cool for 20-25 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans to cool completely. Apply ganache when cool.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. Heat the Cream in a sauce pan over medium heat until just about simmering. Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for five minutes. Gently whisk the chocolate and cream until smooth, consistent, and free from any lumps.
- Add in the blood orange olive oil to the chocolate and whisk to thoroughly incorporate. Allow to cool until it reaches a spreadable consistency. Gently spread the slightly cooled ganache over the the completely cooled cake. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream and a tangerine segment as garnish, if desired.
- Serves 12 small but decadent servings.